Friday, August 26, 2011

My Summer in Haiku

I'm not a fan of poetry, and it's fair to say the year I spent as a declared English major was more than enough to guarantee I never will be. But earlier this month I entered a little Facebook drawing in which I had to write a haiku about something. All the people who entered had their names thrown in a hat, and a winner -- who was not me -- was drawn. The idea inspired me to briefly set aside my poetry distaste and do a summer in review post with all of the events described through haiku, just for the writing exercise of trying something outside of my wheelhouse.

I thought about giving each poem a title but decided against it. If you were involved in any of these events, it's likely you'll identify them. If you weren't, they might be head-scratchingly vague. Which, I believe, is what poetry is all about anyway. And I think I have all of the syllables counted correctly, but in case I don't, keep in mind that I hate poetry so I probably didn't check them as carefully as I should have. So now that I'm sure I've built up such sky-high expectations in anyone reading this, let's begin:

********************

Week-long vacation
forests, mountains, and desert
welcomed by good friends.


The Turtle Lake Fair
family reunited
music, games, and food.


Nephews in tuxes
David joins the family
late and humid night.


The end of Borders
liquidation tragedy
I stocked up big time.


Still fighting cancer
we raised one thousand dollars
cut short by downpour.


Midnight Radio
in the car and at the zoo
summer soundtrack.


Unsettled moments
Long week in the hospital
Dad's back on his feet.


Crowded dance floor
seen through the camera lens
happy bride and groom.


Enormous summer feast
opening gifts for an hour
happy birthday Mom.


No comments: