Last year during my May blog sprint I wrote a post about the big upcoming movies of the summer. Tonight feels like a good time to do that, and maybe in doing so I’ll be able to get myself excited about seeing another movie ever again, after sitting through the completely non-engaging “Godzilla” today. If what I, as a movie fan, am being force-fed by the media these days, these are the summer movies of 2014 I should be the most excited about:
X-Men: Days of Future Past: Yes. This one looks really good, and even if it only looked okay I’d still be all over it because it’s a Marvel movie.
Transformers: Age of Extinction: I’m a little bitter about this one, if only because I’m only two movies into my list and it’s already the second time I’ve had to use colons in closer proximity than I’d like. I might see this, if only to find out why Mark Wahlberg has anything to do with a two-hour toy commercial, outside of being paid what I’m sure was a yachtful of money.
Edge of Tomorrow: Say what you want about Tom Cruise, he usually makes good action movies for the theaters. And I have to qualify that with “for the theaters” because for some reason a lot of his big movies get diluted from repeat viewings on cable over the subsequent years. Hardly his fault, though.
22 Jump Street: I’d like to have high expectations here, but I’m afraid this one might go down the path of not being able to live up to the surprise of how entertaining the first one was. I think it will try too hard and might not pull it off. I hope I’m wrong, though.
Jupiter Ascending: I’m looking forward to this one a lot, if only because the trailers make it look like one of the more original science fiction movies to come along in a long time. I'd really love to not be disappointed here.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: The previous one in this series was much better than I expected, mostly because of the motion capture work Andy Serkis did as Caesar. I’m interested to see what happens next.
Guardians of the Galaxy: I don’t care how weird it looks. It's a Marvel space movie. Sign me up.
The Giver: Okay, I’ve serious got issues with this and I’m not going to get into them here. It was one of my favorite books, and it should never, never, never have been made into a movie. The little I’ve seen and know about it make me want to boycott any theater that shows it.
The Expendables 3: There’s an old Saturday Night Live fake commercial from the late 80s or early 90s that showed the trailer for a movie starring (and I think I’m getting this right) Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, and Van Damme. The commercial was nothing but beat-up shirtless tough guy torsos emptying machine guns at the camera, advertising the invented movie “Die Foreigner, Die.” I can't help but wonder if that bit of satire inspired this series in some way. And YES, I'll be seeing it the day it comes out.
Lucy: I just saw a preview for this today at the aforementioned “Godzilla” misfire. Scarlett Johansson isn’t playing Black Widow here but she might as well be for all of the craziness going on. I’m in.
And once again, as the summer goes on watch my Facebook notes for the 10-Word Movie Reviews of these and so many others to see how my predictions pan out. Except for The Giver. Because there’s just no chance....
No comments:
Post a Comment