Big Brother 11 started tonight.
I've been watching this show for about four years now. I'm not much of a reality TV junkie, but this one always ropes me in because there is so little about it that could be described as redeeming. I can't say I watch it to root for certain people because everyone on that show embarrasses themselves sooner or later. I mostly watch it to see the people that I develop television hatred for go down in flames. This is like that "I'm a Celebrity..." crap times 40, without the baggage of people trying to out-celebrity each other. I cannot imagine why people would expose themselves to an experience like this, and I think most of them really wind up getting what they deserve in the end.
I fully acknowledge that when I die there will likely be a moment when I'm facing God and he says something like, "Dude. Big Brother? Really?" There are other creations of His that are far more worthwhile. But at least I'll be able to claim that I wasn't one of the people who subscribed to Showtime to watch Big Brother After Dark each night to see the hours of nose-picking, f-bomb-dropping, and lights-out lovin' going on courtesy of pay cable. Kind of a weak argument, but that's all I have. I love the vicarious thrill of watching people I would never be able to stand in real life slowly break each other apart.
Album of the Day....hmm. I think I'd have to go with Buckcherry's "Black Butterfly," which I bought on iTunes not long ago. Although I didn't pay much attention to it while I was on (in fact, I may have napped through some of it) it's a pretty good rock record. Today though was all about Iron Maiden. Since I have now decided firmly on which writing project I'm devoting my summer to (the haunted lake story), I've been searching for the proper soundtrack music to have on as I write. And for this story, Maiden right now is the way to go. It's not just the metal -- in fact, there are a lot of Maiden songs that would not make the cut. They have to be creepy, ominous, scary, evil, and any other related dark adjectives that would make the cut.
Whenever I write, I have to have music on. Some writers need the silence, but for me it doesn't work. Any manuscript that I've finished has had a voice that was partially defined by the music I had on while writing it. The day will come when some of you read this manuscript -- a lot of you, I hope -- and when that day comes, you'll have to imagine a whole bunch of Iron Maiden playing in the background.
Nephew #3's birthday tomorrow. I'll drop off his present at has school-bud party in the afternoon, and then I'll get him another one for the family party on Sunday. Turns out I'm a pretty awesome uncle. (Hmm.....sounded a little like John Corey there, and not even intentionally.)
Kind of scattered thoughts tonight, but now I need to go online and learn more about the Big Brother cast this year so I can read their bios and decide who I hate the most....
No comments:
Post a Comment