Monday, May 25, 2009

Exercise

I was going to write something this morning about what a crap mood I'm in, but that doesn't seem like a strong beginning, being this is the first actual post following my weak introductory one. I'm not even sure the happy singing and yet preternaturally self-aware kids from the "Glee" ads could pull me out of this funk. Yeah, today I'm that guy. Eh. It happens. I'll get over it.

So anyway. I got an e-mail from the Life Coach today, seeing if I was up to joining her at a Body Pump or Body Crunch or Body Abuse or Body Whatever class at the Y this morning. And my only possible response was "No," because my mood does not really enable me to be around people today if there's the slightest chance they will worsen it. It would have been fun to hang with Life Coach for awhile, but instead I'll do chores and convince myself that this bottle of Vitamin Water is actually going to make a significant difference in my health and physical conditioning.

So anyway, again. Can't seem to focus on a topic here.... Since physical exercise is off the table today, there is still the other reason for writing a blog (and oh my, how I detest that word): A writing exercise. With summer vacation on the near horizon, I'd really like to get some intentional writing done so I need to warm up the creativity, much like I would try to stretch out my legs before Life Coach and I had one of our physically taxing indoor-soccer-old-fart-league games this past spring. My biggest goal for the summer is to get some significant writing done, which means revising a book, maybe finishing another, maybe starting another. I discovered a few years back when I spent much of my summer working on the one book I've finished that I consider worthwhile that living the lifestyle of a writer is actually REALLY easy to get used to. But to actually write and get some progress made I need to activate that part of the brain again, and that ain't always easy.

So for now, here are quick teaser descriptions of what I'll try to work on this summer. These would fall into the category of children/adolescent literature if you couldn't tell:
(1) an Internet time-travel book where the bad guy is the lead character as an adult;
(2) a small-town sports rebellion book;
(3) a haunted lake book that I have literally been picking away at for close to 15 years now.

If I get at least one of those done this summer, I'll consider the break a success. If not, I'll add it to the pile of other significant failures that have *sigh* come to define my life.... ahh HA! See? You forgot that I'm that guy today, didn't you?....

No comments: