Friday, May 12, 2017

A Third Year of Ten Good Things

When I logged into Facebook this morning, my "On This Day" app showed I had written lists of Ten Good Things going on in my life on the two previous May 12ths during my May blog posts. Since I still have a few holes to fill in the schedule this year, I thought I might as well keep this probably accidental tradition going. 

It can be good to focus on the good things going on, even if they’re small. Doing this can change the way you perceive the day around you. With everything across the country going absolutely out of control these days, maybe a break to think about the good things is just what we all need. I think I’ll take my good things break right now.

(1) The movie version of “It” is coming out later this year. This has finally convinced me to reread that 1,000+ page monster of a book. I’m going to start in the summer, and I’ll be reading it on and off during the time I’ll be drafting most of the new horror story I wrote about in yesterday’s post. There aren't many books better to read while writing a scary story.

(2) I had a phone message yesterday that my new kitchen table is expected to be delivered in late May. I’m fortunate enough to have my retired parents living only three towns away, and they’re always willing to hang around at my house during the work day when I need to have something repaired or delivered.

(3) I’ve seen my cousins a lot this spring. Usually I think of life as time with friends during the school year and time with cousins in the summer, so that’s been an enjoyable flip for the spring.

(4) The weather these days has been very pleasant here in my corner of the midwest. It hasn’t been the kind of uncomfortably tepid spring that feels more like a prolonged late winter, and it hasn’t been a suddenly hot and sweaty early summer attack, either. An actual spring is an enjoyable time.

(5) A pair of some of my favorite people are going to become parents for the first time in just a few months.

(6) I basically have my lessons plans for the remainder of the school year outlined, which opens up a lot of time to get other things done at school. I might even achieve my annual goal of leaving for the summer with everything in my classroom packed away and dealt with the way I want it to be.

(7) Whether I’ll have everything exactly as I want it or not, I know that next year I’ll be teaching the same grades as I did this year and will be working in the same room. This is an appreciated bit of consistency I haven’t been able to enjoy in about five years.

(8) I'm not watching a lot of TV shows these days because my evenings in May are usually devoted to blog posts and monitoring news channels for the slow-motion train wreck of national politics. Because of this, my DVR is going to have dozens of hours of great stuff queued up for me. I might not even get to my Netflix account until July.

(9) My weekend is free and clear of lesson plans and grading.

(10) There are only eighteen days of school left!

No comments: