Kind of a catch-up day today, hence the title of the post. And if you don't get the reference, I can only strongly encourage you to watch The West Wing. Great show. Anyway, here we go.
* I swear the USB port in the back of my computer reorients itself to the opposite direction every time I need to plug in the cord that syncs my phone and my iPods. There's just no way I can always guess it wrong.
* I just had my house painted over the past two weeks. Before every room in the house was standard construction white, except for one bathroom I sloppily tried to paint years ago and an accent wall in the kitchen that was a particularly arterial shade of red that came that way when I bought the house. Now every room is freshly painted and looking good, and since the whole job wound up costing less than half of what I expected it would? I'm just getting warmed up as far as summer remodeling projects go.
* Cub Foods: Seriously? Who had the idea to get all clever and shuffle the aisles around? I knew where my stuff was. Target did this a couple years back and it took me a long time to get over it. Not cool.
* Since my home life has been overtaken with paint cans and drop cloths lately, I've been putting in some major screen time since there hasn't been much else I can do. I'm one disc away from getting caught up on the first two seasons of "Modern Family," and I'm already several dozen hours' into my second round through the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout 3. Click here if you don't know what I'm talking about. Yeah, I'm a nerd. No surprise there. But if you knew what I had planned for my classes in the coming year, you would not dismiss my nerd powers so quickly.
* Is there a band the world needs less than Maroon 5? I would argue there is not. I'm not saying they're offensively bad, though they certainly aren't great. They're just completely unnecessary.
* Am I the only person who feels relief guilt when a huge storm front lights up the weather radars that interrupt network television programming, and that front misses my house by a matter of miles?
* I was reminded today that my little sister the high school soccer star played left-footed. This was because I'm left-handed (and consequently left-footed) and since she learned the game playing against me in the side yard when we were kids, she mirrored what I did. The things you remember out of nowhere that just knock the wind out of you when they come back... On that note, start watching my Facebook timeline for Relay for Life notices in the next couple of weeks. Go ahead and click on them and donate to my team if you'd like. Because cancer sucks, and being left behind when it takes someone is really not cool. The more money raised, but more baby steps can be taken in the battle.
* Okay, I'm not going to end on a down note. One of the highlights of my week.... The return of "Big Brother" to summer TV! I hate everything about this show and everyone connected to it, and yet I cannot stop watching. When I called Comcast earlier this summer to see how much it would cost for me to add a second cable box in another room (I didn't), I found out that adding Showtime would only cost me another $5 a month. I heard that and thought, "Hey. When Big Brother starts, they always shows live feeds on Showtime 2 late at night. It's summer. I'm up late. Five bucks? SIGN ME UP!!"
I'm not proud of this, but I'm man enough to own this for the weakness it is.