Here's a telltale sign you're reading a book that really isn't worth your time. Let's say it's a novel being pushed as exciting and action-filled, and is written with a plot-line that could almost get by as a Indiana Jones-type rip-off. Now, I know it's a novel, because it says "A Novel" right there on the cover, in case I thought a world-wide life-and-death treasure hunt for artifacts from the 7 wonders of the ancient world was nonfiction.
If you notice by page 34 that the author's favorite device of conveying action and excitement is by abusing exclamation points? Don't bother. Some of the more egregious examples from the bullet I just dodged:
"West leaped down into it -- to see a skeletal wraithlike figure come rushing out of the darkness at him, arms outstretched!"
"And suddenly the swamprunner was yanked forward, pulled along by the giant 747!"
"The large spike-riddled sliding stone loomed up behind them, rumbling over the doorway to the antechamber!"
All of those exclamation points scream of desperation, or of a writing tic the author developed back in 4th grade and was never able to shake off. It's like a little note saying, "Hey! This is supposed to be really exciting! Even if my written voice is mundane and I'm using a lot of adjectives to disguise this!"
I'll own up to a writing tic or two. Thankfully it's not this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment