Thursday, July 23, 2009

So How Did This Happen?

It's 1:00 A.M., Thursday, July 23, Central Time. I have no idea why I'm still awake and as alert as I am. There is literally nothing to do this time of night. I suppose I could go watch a movie or something or a few more episodes from my DVD set of "Sports Night," but for some reason committing to the idea of turning on the TV would feel like I'm surrendering to the idea of not being able to sleep. And it's not like I need to get up and go to work tomorrow. I plan on going to the Y and getting some more Lazyman miles knocked off and then going to my older sister's house to help her try and get her computer to move along a little faster than it does. But it's not like there's a time limit on either of these things happening. So if I don't fall asleep soon, big deal.

Still. It's kind of weird. I've been reading for at least two hours and my eyes are now so dry from it that I think they'd be cottony to the touch. Right now I have my screen set on zoom so I can read what I'm typing, a job that right now would otherwise be difficult. Perhaps you've noticed that my grammar isn't all that tight this time of night (morning?) either.

Odd that I should choose to fill my wakefulness with more words, since that's pretty much what my day was about between the reading I've done this evening and the writing I've done all day. And I mean almost literally all day. My manuscript project for the summer is so close to fruition, I can feel it. If I made a mad effort at it, I could have it done by Sunday night. Of course this version of "done" would be reminiscent of the kind of "done" several of my students perpetrate upon me at various times during the school year... highlighting the differences between "done" and "done well." One big push would get me into the former. And I'd really love to be there, but I'm pacing myself. But today was good. Today I finished the Harry Potter chapter, as I've been calling it. It has nothing to do with Harry Potter or wizards or butterbeer or house-elves, but it has been named as such since out of all of the chapters in this book, this is the one that reminds me the most of something that would be read in a Harry Potter book. Well, not entirely, but in a way. There is a quality this chapter required that isn't really shared by any other, and that quality is what reminds me. I guess that's as good of an explanation as I've got.

I thought about the peaks and valleys in the story line tonight. Of course there is a certain amount of exposition to get through, but once things get moving there are quite a few storyline peaks that propel things forward. They start kind of small and low-stakes, but by the end? Yowza. At least I hope so, because that's what I'm going for. I hope to find out soon enough.

And lest you think I'd forgotten, today's (yesterday's) Album of the Day was Iron Maiden's "No Prayer for the Dying." I think I've said this before, but Maiden is definitely the soundtrack for this book. I listened to at least 5 hours of Iron Maiden today, but that might have been the only complete album in the line up.

Maybe that's what the hold up is with the sleep. Listening to that much Maiden in that little time? I'm bound to have some freaky nightmares once I finally give in.....

No comments: